Paleo Herb & Sun-Dried Tomato Focaccia Bread Recipe (low-carb, gluten-free, high fiber and healthy fats)
A few weeks ago, I was having dinner at my good friend Kelley Herring’s house… and you might know that Kelley is famous for her amazingly healthy desserts. But I had no idea she also had an incredible recipe for Italian focaccia bread that can be whipped up in only 10 minutes!
It smelled amazing, but I still had my doubts. I mean, come on… just how good could a wheat-free, grain-free, gluten-free, low-carb Italian bread really taste?
So I dipped a piece of Kelley’s healthy gluten-free, low-carb Italian Focaccia bread into some fresh extra-virgin olive oil with garlic and spices and I was hooked instantly… I felt like I was at a 5-star Italian restaurant dipping fresh baked Italian bread in olive oil!
And this combination of Kelley’s healthy Italian bread dipped in olive oil went PERFECT combined with a great glass of red wine (btw, did you know that one glass of red wine a day is shown to improve your good bugs in your gut, and reduce the bad bugs).
Italian Bread is probably the ONE thing that I miss eating on a mostly Paleolithic grain-free diet (although I do have my cheat days here and there) … and if you’ve given up wheat-based bread (or grains, in general), then you know you’re doing a great thing for your health as we’ve shown in dozens of articles in this newsletter…
As a quick recap, some of the benefits of reducing or eliminating grains in your diet are:
- Reduce systemic inflammation
- Maintaining lower and controlled blood sugar (which slows aging and boosts fat loss)
- Healing digestive issues
- Preventing damage to the intestinal wall that can be caused by gluten
- Reducing bloat
- Strengthening your immune system
- Create a leaner, healthier body
But what about the cravings? You know, those times when nothing but a hot, crusty piece of bread slathered in golden butter or dipped in olive oil will do?
Well, this is why I got so excited about Kelley’s herbed focaccia bread with all of its chewy, crusty, rustic goodness – dipped in a garlic-spiked olive oil!
Kelley just recently adapted this recipe from her Better Breads ebook (which one of the free bonuses that comes with her Guilt Free Desserts manual).
This delicious focaccia bread recipe only took Kelley 10 minutes to whip up and then about 40 minutes in the oven.
The focaccia emerged from the oven crowned with a chewy, golden crust and the perfect texture for sopping up the garlicky olive oil dipping sauce and her incredible hearty Bolognese sauce that she made us for dinner, which was served on top of spaghetti squash instead of pasta.
Not only will this recipe satisfy your craving for bread – but also provide you with key nutrients that stoke your metabolism and help to burn stubborn fat, including:
• Protein – This is the power nutrient that kicks up your body’s production of glucagon- a key hormone for fat-burning. And this Italian-inspired bread has a more protein than standard wheat-based bread.
• Medium Chain Triglyerides (MCTs) – Found in coconut, these amazing fatty acids are burned by the liver for energy – not stored as fat. Studies show that eating a diet rich in MCTs can boost metabolism, improve blood sugar balance, benefit heart disease risks and even protect against fatty liver.
• Fiber – Part of the fat-burning “trifecta” of nutrients (which also includes protein and healthy fats), fiber is an essential part of a healthy, lean-body diet. Fiber helps to stabilize blood sugar, improve your digestion, facilitate detoxification and reduce hunger.
If all this doesn’t send you running to the kitchen, get this:
This recipe is also a great source of powerful antioxidants (thanks to the herbs!). These powerful molecules supercharge your body’s ability to fend off the free radicals that contribute to physical aging and degenerative disease.
So, let’s get right to the actual recipe… here’s Kelley’s super-simple, fat-burning recipe that’s sure to make your house smell like Little Italy and put a smile on your face…
Active Mixing Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
• 5 pasture-raised eggs (or organic, omega-3 eggs)
• 1 pack Let’s Do Organic Creamed Coconut (key ingredient; *details below about this)
• ¼ cup organic virgin coconut oil, melted (or extra virgin olive oil)
• ½ Tbsp. dried organic basil (an Italian herb blend and/or rosemary would be delicious too)
• 2 tsp. organic garlic powder (to taste)
• ¼ cup organic Parmesan cheese, divided
• 5 organic sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, sliced (try Mediterranean Organic)
• ½ tsp. Sea Salt
• ¾ tsp. baking soda
* For the “Let’s Do Organic Creamed Coconut”, this may not be in every grocery store, but I found it in Whole Foods, or you can get it at the amazon link above. This is VERY different than just coconut cream or milk, as this contains the fiber from coconuts too, which is key to making this recipe come out properly.
1. Soften creamed coconut by placing packet in a bowl of warm water. Work with your hands to create a pourable consistency.
2. Preheat oven to 300 F and lightly grease a 9″ round cake pan (preferably stoneware).
3. Add eggs, melted coconut oil, creamed coconut, sea salt and baking soda to a blender. Blend until very smooth (no lumps!).
4. Pour batter into a medium mixing bowl and fold in herbs and parm cheese (if using).
5. Pour into greased pan. Top with sliced sun-dried tomatoes and a little extra parm cheese, if using.
6. Transfer to oven and bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown and firm.
7. Serve with a dipping oil made with high quality organic extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic and herbs, to taste.
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
192 calories, 18 grams healthy fats, 6 grams carbohydrate (mostly fiber), 3 grams protein
This is a perfect bread for diabetics since there’s no blood sugar impact hardly at all, and also just good for anyone looking to control blood sugar and cravings for the fat loss and appetite control effects.
I made a batch of this Focaccia bread this past week myself and it came out PERFECT! I also added about 10 fresh basil leaves to the blender when the ingredients were blending together, so that added some extra basily goodness to the flavor in our final loaf.
If you want more incredible gluten-free, low-carb, grain-free recipes from Kelley, make sure to grab her Guilt Free Desserts manual today (currently on sale) … The 2 free bonuses that come with it are Better Breads and Awesome Appetizers, which is where this delicious Italian Focaccia bread recipe was adapted from.