Discover the road less travelled in Vietnam and Laos with SpiceRoads
SpiceRoads has launched a new 14-day tour – Remote Vietnam and Laos by Bike – from bustling Hanoi to the UNESCO World Heritage site of Luang Prabang. This off-the-beaten-track tour leads cyclists through traditional local communities nestled in stunning landscapes and explores fascinating historical sites. The tour has been designed for people who want to get away from the main tourist thoroughfare, stay in authentic guest houses, and eat local.
The first day starts with a short transfer out of the frenetic city of Hanoi and into the peaceful countryside. The tour includes a visit to local artisans in Bat Trang, a leisurely cruise through three natural caves, and a visit to the ancient capital of the Dinh and Ly dynasties. After a night in Cuc Phuong National Park, the tour heads to the beautiful Mai Chau valley before cycling across the border into Laos at Na Meo. In Laos, there is a visit to the Vieng Xai caves, a nighttime wildlife safari along the Nam Nern River, and a trip to the prehistoric Plain of Jars. The tour ends in the enchanting Luang Prabang.
Highlights of the tour include
- Riding through remote regions of Vietnam and Laos
- Travelling by boat on the Ngo Dong River to Bich Dong Pagoda
- Staying in Vietnam’s largest national park, Cuc Phuong National Park
- Visiting the Endangered Primate Rescue Centre, where a wide variety of native monkeys and gibbons are saved from wildlife smugglers
- Discovering the serene Mai Chau valley surrounded by rice fields and stilt houses
- Exploring some of the 480 Vieng Xai caves used by the Communist army during the Vietnam War
- Wildlife spotting in the jungles of Nam Et-Phou Louey National Protected Area
- Cycling through the historical Plain of Jars
- Boating to the famous Buddha-filled Pak Ou Cave
The tour cycles on paved roads, alongside rivers, through lush paddy fields, into karst landscapes and peaceful villages before taking on some climbs to truly appreciate the views of the surrounding natural splendors. On days when the climbs are tough, distances cycled are shortened; rides vary between 30 and 70 km per day with the option of cycling 100 km for one day. The journey takes a route less frequented, and therefore some overnight stays at guesthouses will be basic (but clean), with shared facilities.
Costs and discounts
The tour cost is US$2,950 with an additional US$180 for bike rental. The single supplement is US$325. The tour cost is inclusive of accommodation, the majority of meals, support vehicle, and drinks and snacks while riding.
Bookings for 2015 tours (Sep, Oct, Dec) will include free bike rental.
SpiceRoads is a specialist bicycle tour operator based in Bangkok offering a range of two-wheel tours in over 25 destinations worldwide. SpiceRoads tours cater for every level of cyclist and range from day trips to complete country explorations. Participants are invited to join tours with fixed date departures scheduled throughout the year, while private or tailor-made tours can be arranged for groups or individuals on request. The highly professional operation employs experienced cycle guides to lead all tours and has a fleet of well-maintained mountain and road bikes and support vehicles.
Please call or email for information or photos.